University of Leicester
The university was founded almost a hundred years ago in the aftermath of the Great War. The men and women who built this new institution hoped that it would be not only a living memorial to the darkness of their recent past, but a beacon of hope for the future. Their aim was that sacrifices made in war should be commemorated through education and research that would change the world for the better.
The university launched a new strategic plan, which sets out the vision to pioneer a distinctive new elite of research-intensive universities.
The universities values reflect the motto. To do justice to the hopes and the expectations of those on whose shoulders we now stand, we strive to make a difference in everything that we do.
Today University of Leicester is a lively, energetic and global community, in which dedicated and talented people are anticipating, working towards and helping to shape the future.
University of Leicester is committed both to undertaking research that saves, improves and enriches lives, and to fostering a teaching and learning environment that transforms the prospects of its students and those they will go on to influence.
The institution envision being a University which is open to talent, not privilege and accessible to everyone with the ability to benefit from higher education.
Students and staff are at the heart of the ambition and it is they that will help the university deliver it. Its shared values both inspire and permeate everything it does:
- Sharing a commitment to excellence
- Respecting and appreciating people in a culture of trust and integrity
- Championing academic freedom and the importance of constructive debate
- Recognizing and celebrating achievement and success
- Ensuring that the decisions we make about education are always student-centred
- Nurturing innovation and solving problems creatively
- Being aware that we work better when we work together
- Being adventurous and acknowledging that without mistakes, change and innovation are impossible
- Being accountable for our actions and promises
- Leading by example and doing what we say we will do