Glasgow Caledonian University
The University is held in high regard for the quality of its teaching. 19 subject areas have been graded as “Excellent” by the Quality Assurance Agency – including 14 successive scores of 22 points or above stretching back to 1998, six of which were maximum scores.
Leicester was ranked joint first in the 2005, 2006 and 2007 National Student Survey for overall student satisfaction among mainstream universities in England. It was second only to Cambridge in 2008 and again joint first in 2009
The university has established itself as a leading research-led university and has been named University of the Year of 2008 by the Times Higher Education. The university has consistently ranked among the top 15 universities in the United Kingdom by the Times Good University Guide and The Guardian
Glasgow Caledonian University (GCU) is a vibrant, innovative and multi-award winning University for the Common Good.
We aim to contribute to society in a manner that embraces yet goes beyond the traditional role of a university. GCU’s For the Common Good commitment is brought to life and delivered by students and staff across academic schools and departments.
GCU’s student experience nurtures knowledge and creativity to address real-world global challenges, transforming the lives of our students and others.
- We have academic schools offering high quality teaching, innovative facilities and specialist areas of study
- We have world-leading and internationally excellent research
- We are the largest provider of nursing and midwifery education; have experts in renewables, energy and construction; and we are a leading provider of management, business, law and social science education
- We are raising attainment of talented individuals from all backgrounds through articulation and widening access initiatives such as College Connect and the Caledonian Club
Outstanding student experience
Our 20,000 students come from over 100 countries and a range of backgrounds to study in our city-centre based campus. GCU’s friendly campus community offers:
- The award-winning Saltire Centre with large academic library
- Opportunities to study abroad or as part of a global exchange
- Representation from the GCU Student Association
- All the on-campus facilities you need including accommodation and health and fitness
Our world-leading and internationally excellent research addresses societal challenges to help people to build inclusive societies and lead healthy lives in sustainable environments.
- We are top modern university in Scotland by research power (REF 2014)
- Our allied health research and built environment research impact is in the top 20 in the UK
- We are enhancing our research culture, growing the number of research students and supporting those in their early careers to standards of excellence
Innovating for social and economic impact
We deliver applied research and knowledge exchange solutions to private, public and voluntary sector partners.
- GCU is committed to responsible business and social benefit to generate knowledge exchange and consultancy opportunities
- We are building a successful model of co-created work-based education programmes with business partners
- We generate nearly £1billion worth of economic and social benefit for the UK economy every year (BiGGAR Economics)