Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester Metropolitan University Overview
Manchester Metropolitan (MMU) is one of the UK’s most applied to universities, offering a wide variety of courses and professional accreditations to ensure that students learning can be applied to their chosen career. The University has a community of over 38,000 current students and more than 280,000 alumni. There are five different faculties within the University: Business and Law; Arts and Humanities; Education, Health, Psychology and Social Care and Science and Engineering.
MMU receives the third highest number of student applications in the UK and is home to more than 36,000 students, making it one of the largest student populations in Europe.
The University has outstanding academic facilities with stylish lecture theatres, seminar rooms and study zones, equipped with the latest technology and specialist equipment to ensure that students get the most out of their studies.
The University has a five-storey library which is open 24 hours a day during term time and there are touchdown zones all over campus, with PC access and free Wi-Fi throughout. There are several fantastic sports facilities close to the University, offering a great range of health and fitness activities and exclusive membership deals for students. To help students keep healthy or get started in sport there is a health and wellbeing programme and a supportive environment to try activities for free on a drop-in basis.
MMU also prides itself on strong partnerships with businesses and organisations at a regional, national and international level, and which include the BBC and IBM. Many of its degree courses include a year-long work placement with these organisations – something the university believes aids its high employment rate for graduates.
Summary of Manchester Metropolitan University
|LOCATION||All Saints Building All SaintsManchesterM15 6BHUnited Kingdom|
|PERCENTAGE OF INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS||16%|
Business and Economics,
Engineering & Technology,
PRICES VARY DEPENDING ON COURSE
Location of Manchester Metropolitan University
The campus is designed around students’ experience, providing them with some of the best learning and teaching facilities in the UK. The University is just a five-minute walk away from Manchester Oxford Road Railway Station. Everything in the city centre is within walking distance; from shops and restaurants to bars, train stations and local attractions, they are all close to one another. The city is easily navigated on foot, however, there is also no shortage of regular buses, taxis and trams.
Ranking of Manchester Metropolitan University
Manchester itself is a renowned hub for arts, culture and creativity, and is regularly ranked in the top spot as the best city to live in the UK by the Economist Intelligence Unit’s Global Liveability Survey.
MMU boasts the UK’s second largest Business School. In 2014 it was recognised as a top ‘new’ university for its health research in the Research Excellence Framework results, while the institution has long been at the forefront of developments in Early Years and Childhood Studies.
- 80th in the Times University Guide 2018
- 73rd in the Guardian University Guide 2019
Accommodation at the Manchester Metropolitan University
All international students are guaranteed accommodation in our University student halls, as long as you are in your first year of study and apply before 8th August 2019.
International student accommodation contracts begin a week earlier than other contracts – allowing international students to attend the “Welcome Week” activities.
International students may be especially interested in securing accommodation at Cavendish place. This hall offers 51 week contracts starting on 7th September. To find out more visit the Cavendish Place web page.
We also offer the earlier contract to full time Postgraduate students if their academic course starts prior to the “Welcome Week” activities, which is likely to apply to PGCE Primary, PGCE Secondary and GDipLaw (FT).
- For more information on arriving to Manchester Metropolitan University as an international student please see the International Arrival information(this includes details on arriving at the airport, police registration, opening a bank account and registering with a GP).
- For more information on living in the UK as an international student please see the International Living in the UK information(including details on managing money, paying council taxes international societies and more).
- All international students are guaranteed accommodation in university student halls, provided they are in their first year of study and apply before the specified deadline.
- The accommodation is located on or close to Manchester Metropolitan University’s campuses, near local amenities, including shops and food outlets.
- Each residence has a staffed reception (24-hour reception in some halls), 24-hour security and a team of Residential Advisors who are available to offer support and advice.
Notable Alumni from Manchester Metropolitan University
- Steve Coogan(Actor)
- Mick Hucknall(Simply Red)
- Jenny Éclair(Comedian)
- Julie Walters and John Bishop (comedians)
- Carol Ann Duffy(poet laureate )is the Creative Director of its Writing School.