University Of Leicester
The University of Leicester is a leading UK University committed to international excellence through the creation of world changing research and high quality, inspirational teaching. Leicester is the most socially inclusive of Britain’s top-20 leading universities.
The University of Leicester was the THE University of the Year 2008-9. In awarding the title the judges cited Leicester’s ability to “evidence commitment to high quality, a belief in the synergy of teaching and research and a conviction that higher education is a power for good”. Leicester was, said the judges, “elite without being elitist”.
We’re highly ranked in the UK, consistently in the top 20 of major national tables including:
- 17th in the Guardian (and 12th, 15th and 14th in previous 3 tables)
- 14th in the Times Higher Table of Tables
- 17th in The Times (and 15th, 14th, 14th in the previous 3 tables).
Founded in 1921 we received our Royal Charter in 1957. Leicester is a member of the 1994 Group of internationally renowned universities engaged in leading-edge research and high quality teaching.
|LOCATION||The University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester, LE1 7RH, United Kingdom|
|PERCENTAGE OF INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS||58% UG students
42% PG students
International students – 4,460
PRICES VARY DEPENDING ON COURSE
University of Leicester ranking
Leicester is ranked in the top 25 universities in the Times Higher Education REF Research Power rankings. The Power ranking takes into account both the quality of research and the number of research-active staff who made REF returns. Research power is important because it gives a strong indication of a combination of world-class research, international impact, critical mass and sustainability.
75% of our research was judged to be internationally excellent with wide-ranging impacts on society, health culture,and the environment. That Leicester also entered a substantial proportion of academics (84%) to the REF demonstrates that our academics are continuing to develop and build upon our world-leading research.
Times Higher Education World University Rankings – Ranked 159th in the world.
QS World University Rankings currently ranks – 223th 2019 an impressive 15 places from the previous year. This places Leicester 31st in the list of UK universities included in the ranking.
THE World Ranking: 167
- 22nd-28th in the UK and 201st-300th in the world in the Shanghai Ranking
- 34th in the Complete University Guide 2019
- 38th in the Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
- 63rd in the Guardian University Guide 2019
- Leicester was awarded Silver in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
- Leicester was named runner-up University of the Year in the Times/Sunday Times University Guide 2014
University of Leicester location
Leicester is one of the most vibrant and diverse cities in the UK with a varied city life to explore and enjoy. Located right at the heart of the UK – making travel to other parts of the country easy. Leicester has all the excitement and activities of a large city, but still keeps a friendly and welcoming atmosphere.
There are direct rail links to London, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield, and Cambridge. East Midlands International Airport is only a short distance away and there are bus and train connections from the airport to Leicester city centre.
With a population of around 500,000 Leicester is the tenth largest city in the UK. Leicester is also one of the oldest cities in the UK with a history stretching back some 2,000 years.
All teaching buildings are within a few minutes’ walk of each other on the University of Leicester’s compact campus. Leicester train station is within walking distance of the campus, while supermarkets, a cinema complex, local shops, bars and restaurants are all nearby. East Midlands Airport is the closest airport and serves 28 different countries.
Accommodation at the University of Leicester
Living in University accommodation is a great option, whether you’re about to start your first year at Leicester or are already a student at the University. Our aim is to ensure that all of our residents have a fantastic experience while living with us. Whether you want to enjoy our events and activities or just want somewhere to live and study, University accommodation will meet your requirements.
- New undergraduate international students are guaranteed a room in university-managed accommodation provided that they apply by the specified deadline in the year in which their degree begins.
- Students can choose from catered halls of residence or self-catered accommodation, with a range of rooms from standard single rooms to en-suite (own bathroom) and deluxe. Halls of residence have free broadband Internet.
- Accommodation ranges from five to 20 minutes’ walk from the campus. Oadby Student Village is located 3.5km from the campus and has a shuttle bus provided during term-time – this site primarily accommodates first year students.
- International students are spread throughout the sites, rather than clustered together.
- During Christmas and Easter only one catered residence remains open for students who wish to stay during the vacations; self-catered accommodation remains open throughout. Summer vacation accommodation is also available.