University of West London
The University of West London is a modern higher learning institution based in the United Kingdom. The institution is a public university that has campuses in Ealing and Brentford in the Greater London. Other campuses are located in Reading and Berkshire. The university traces its roots back to 1860 when it was established as the Lady Byron School, which later became Ealing College of Higher Education.
In 1990, a merger between the Ealing College of higher education, Thames Valley College, Queen Charlotte’s College of Healthcare Studies and the London College of Music formed the Polytechnic of West London.
After being chartered in 1992, the university adopted the name Thames Valley University. In 2004, the university merged with the Reading College and school of Arts and Design. The name changed to the University of West London in 2010 to reflect a focus of operations onto its main campuses at Ealing and Brentford.
Ever since its establishment, the university has dedicated its efforts to help the students from London and all over the world adapt to the changing way of life. The University of West London is ranked as the top modern university in London and the eighth modern university in the United Kingdom.
This is very impressive considering the few years it has been around. In addition, the university has been ranked 56th overall nationally by the Times and Sunday Times good university guide. This makes studying at the University of West London a worthwhile experience.
Summary of programs and faculty at the University of West London
The school offers a wide range of courses for both Undergraduates and Postgraduates. The courses offered range from Business, Music, and even Law. All the eight colleges of the university offer a variety of courses in their respective specialties. Some of the academic schools in the university include:
- The London School of Film, Media, and Design,
- The Claude Littner Business School,
- School of Computing and Engineering,
- London Geller College of Hospitality and Tourism,
- School of Law and Criminology,
- London College of Music,
- College of nursing, midwifery, and healthcare,
- School of Human and Social Sciences,
- The Graduate School.
The school is also actively involved in Research Development. For instance, the graduate school, which is based in Ealing, provides support to research activities and research degree course. The school also offers traditional PhD programs and professional courses. The university also has a special program with the Met Film School based at Ealing Studios that provides Bachelor’s degrees accredited through the University of West London. The university has qualified and dedicated faculty staff that works tirelessly to improve the classroom experience of the student.
The university has garnered quite some achievements despite the short period it has been operating. Some of the major achievements include:
- In the past two years, the university climbed 46 places in the Guardian university guide and 37 places in the Times and the Sunday Times good university guide in 2018.
- Over 98 percent of the graduates of the university of west London are in employment or further studies within six months of graduation.
- The university student union was ranked the best in England by the national student survey 2017.
- The university is the best modern university in London for student satisfaction.