Yaşar University (In Turkish, Yaşar Üniversitesi) is a university, in Izmir, Turkey on the Aegean Sea. The university faculty teaches in English, with programs at both the undergraduate and postgraduate level.
Selcuk Yaşar Sports and Education Foundation decided to establish Yaşar University in 1999, as a modern university in the city of Izmir. The Turkish National Assembly approved the creation of the university on March 29, 2001. Education started within its Alsancak premises in the academic year of 2002-2003. The Selçuk Yaşar Bornova Campus was opened in 2008.
Yaşar University presents itself as a “boutique university”. Its goal is to be identified as a small but prestigious international Turkish university. Yaşar University also adheres to a policy of internationalization: a process of connecting a globalized world with the local community through a variety of social responsibility projects.
Yaşar University is divided into seven undergraduate faculties which have 25 different academic programs. Undergraduate divisions include:
• Faculty of Communication: Public Relations and Advertising; Radio, Cinema and Television; Visual Communication Design
• Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences: Business Administration; Economics; International Logistics Management; International Trade and Finance; Travel Management and Tourism Guidance; International Relations. The language of instruction for all departments is English
• Faculty of Architecture: Architecture; Interior Architecture
• Faculty of Science and Letters: English Language and Literature; Mathematics; Statistics; Psychology; Translation and Interpreting
• Faculty of Engineering: Computer Engineering; Electrical and Electronics Engineering; Energy Systems Engineering; Industrial Engineering; Software Engineering
• Faculty of Art and Design: Film Design; Graphic Design; Industrial Design; Music
The graduate program consists of two graduate schools; the Graduate School of Social Sciences and Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences. The graduate schools have 22 different Master’s and PHD programs.
The Yaşar University School of Foreign Languages provides an English preparatory year for students needing to reach the language level for faculty. Other languages taught at the School of Foreign Languages include: Russian, Spanish, Italian, German, Japanese, French, and Portuguese. Yaşar University is the first in Turkey to have its language school accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA).