High Point University
High Point University is a private liberal arts university affiliated with the United Methodist Church. Founded as High Point College in 1924, it became High Point University in October 1991. In the mid-19th century, the Methodist Protestant Church, which is now part of the United Methodist Church, became active in educational pursuits in North Carolina. In 1921, after some years of consideration, the statewide governing body of the Methodist Protestant Church voted to establish a college.
Shortly afterwards the church accepted an offer from the citizens of High Point to contribute 60 acres (240,000 m2) of land and $100,000 to the project, placing the new school in the city of High Point. The campus was designed by R. E. Mitchell of Washington, D.C., assisted by Herbert Hunter of High Point, in the
English Renaissance style. The school was founded in 1924 as High Point College, a joint venture between the Methodist Protestant Church and the citizens of High Point, and officially opened its doors on September 14, 1924. When the college opened, the campus consisted of three buildings, attended by nine faculty members, with a student enrollment of 122.
It is located in High Point, North Carolina.
In 2015, High Point University was ranked #1 in the annual U.S. News & World Report Regional Colleges South rankings. In the 2016 rankings released HPU ranks #1 Best Regional College in the South for the fourth consecutive year and #1 Most Innovative Regional College in the South.
Why Choose High Point University
- We are a university where characters and careers are crafted in unison: At High Point University you won’t just be asked to question the world around you-you will be expected to be active citizen in it.
- We promote experiential learning: At High Point University you will constantly be given the opportunity to combine classroom content with real-world context.
- We embrace values-based living: We are committed to building character, modeling values and ensuring that you graduate with not only with expertise in your discipline, but also with the skills necessary to be successful in life.
- We cultivate success and significance: At High Point University you will receive an education that inspires greatness, instills purpose, cultivates life-long learning, promotes service and stimulates your desire to live a life of both success and significance.
- We instill entrepreneurial spirit by combining rigorous academics with experiential learning and extensive networking along with mentorship opportunities.
- We encourage curiosity and discovery: You will be challenged to discover your passions.
- We commit to excellence: With state-of-art academic facilities, scholarly opportunities and a robust calendar of engaging events, our environment of excellence will transform you from a high school student into collegiate scholar.